2021 S10 Submission for a New Vevo 3100 LAZR-X
CCVR faculty are submitting a S10 for the Visual Sonics Vevo 3100 Ultrasound with the LazrX Photoacoustic. Members interested in learning more about this shared instrument grant should contact:
Drs. Ahlke Heydemann, JP Jin, Jan Kitajewski, or Jiwang Chen.
The Vevo3100/LazrX imaging system provides many highly innovative modalities for the UIC research community. Photoacoustic imaging allows for the visualization of a very large set of molecules in vivo and the presence of these molecules can be assessed in non-terminal procedures. The principle behind coupling of the Vevo3100 and LazrX photoacoustic device relies on use of a highly focused laser beam exciting molecules within animal tissues at specific wavelengths. As a result, these molecules oscillate within tissues at specific wavelengths
and the ultrasound detects this oscillation. As an example, a standard molecule that can be imaged using this principle is hemoglobin. Oxygenated hemoglobin oscillates at a different wavelength than deoxygenated hemoglobin. Using this ratio, a researcher can use the imaging system to evaluate the level of vascularization in a tissue or tumor and vessel perfusion and oxygen saturation can be assessed in 3-D and over time (4D) in any tissue of interest.
Key ultra sound improvements offered by the Vevo3100/Lazrx system are described here:
- The Vevo3100/LazrX instrumentation system can acquire 4D images (3 dimensions over time), and therefore provides for robust characterization of tissue parameters, especially a dynamic organ such as the heart. Using 3D with our existing system for cardiac output and other characterizations, the 2100 had too determine one characteristic set, movement in the XY plane for example, for analysis. The 3100allows all dimensions to be quantitatively assessed increasing accuracy of movement evaluation.
- The Vevo3100/LazrX system has improved strain imaging, both spatially andtemporally.
- The Vevo3100/LazrX system has improved EKGimaging.
- Software improvements provided for the Vevo3100/LazrX system significantly improves image acquisition speed. The VevoVoice software package is designed for improved imaging speed and allows for hands-free sonography with faster and enhanced imaging. This is increase speed of acquisition of imaging data not only generates improved quality of data but decreases time that animals need to be imaged. As a result, we can generate improved data due to decreased exposure time to isoflurane, for instance and increase the number of mice that can processed during a giventime.
- A state-of-the art AutoLV Analysis software package is included with the Vevo3100/LazrX system and this provides significantly improved utility. For instance, with our existing system echocardiogram data analysis is difficult to learn and has a high rate of inconsistent results, making echo cardiac imaging highly challenging. The advanced AutoLV Analysis software will allow for more consistent results and therefore higher quality data; requiring fewer animals to achieve statistically significant results.